I recently encapsulated myself at home in hiding for a full weekend (pre-lockdown) creating and adapting the Agile Manifesto and Principles specifically applying them to Agile Coaches and Scrum Masters.
Knowledge and wisdom are fundamentally different yet in experienced hands work symbiotically. Part of my success I ascribe to observation, co-analysis, co-creation and entrenchment.
A simple rule here, hence my confession, that as a Coach I thrive in the ability to adopt, adapt and include. The agility frameworks and methodologies, in experienced hands lend themselves to adoption and adaption I take the organizations and teams on a journey not a death-march.
I started my working career as a waitress and now work with snr management and executives. The principles I apply are the same; respect the person, respect the process, understand and listen, provide guidance, structure and leadership, converse - collaborate- commit - deliver- OODA and lastly be willing to be vulnerable- the hardest.
The work paid off exceptionally well - the board gained a new perspective, the teams were elated and inspired and are now creating similar for their chapters.
April 2019 – March 2020
● Led Transformation and implementation for business - the Retail Solutions and Shared Value Business units (200+ people) and 3 ARTs of 125 people each (IT ) engaged in organizational transformation to the new way of working (inclusive of transition to SAFe) in 5 months.
● Created implementation, change management and roadmaps collaboratively with business, IT (local and distributed) and Operations.
● Established LPM Office TOR.
● Established a LACE.
● Established the first internal Professional Business Coaching capability in Liberty as a POC.
● Provided ongoing coaching that enabled the Business Owners and Business Mastery teams (Product Managers, Epic Owners, Team Leads, Program Managers and Product Managers) to excel at Agile practices, methodologies and Cl. PI planning, prioritization and estimation of backlog (learning to use WSJF, KANO,RICE, MoSCoW, Walking Skeleton etc.) Big room planning, Epics, Features, stories, PO sync, MVPs amongst others were made realistic (WIIFM – What’s in if for me) and created ongoing cadence.
● Worked intensely together with the teams to make agility and Agile Frameworks, Practices and methodologies that were suitable to the maturity and then grow together.
● Arranged, facilitated and presented to board the 1st full AgilityHealth Radar Assessment from Leadership to Team and Individual.
● Engaged in developing short and long-term strategies and roadmaps which are aligned with a Business Agility mindset and NWoW – for Liberty – SAFe Framework aligned with strategy and cultural fit over others.
● Initiated POC for using AI in personal, team and group behavioral nudge and shift training. ● Develop and managed a comprehensive OCM strategy and plan, utilizing proven OCM methodologies and related tools – JIRA, Confluence, Excel, Teams (365),
● Coached Scrum Masters and teams – transformation, transition and development.
● Created new materials and conducting sessions on Agility, Design Thinking Lean Product Discovery, Inception, New Ways of Work, Change Management etc.
● Designed and facilitated the conceptualization and enablement of Gembas, Dojos, Lean coffees, Pecha Kuchas and other engagement / knowledge share opportunities.
MTN Enterprise/Snr Specialist Transformation Agile Coach
March 2016 – March 2019
● Set up the first 3 Agile team in MTN - grew to 23 and scaled.
● Formulated strategic delivery models in line with the organizational value-based culture, business operating models to drive innovation with measurable benefits.
● Worked closely with organization, Program office, POs and teams – new way of thinking and working so we started form maturity analysis, created an implantation plan based on culture and maturity, chose change champions, trained management, teams and crawled, walked then ran – falling along the way at times – learning together and improving.
● Facilitation is a specialty and key strength of mine, this includes workshops, bigroom planning, program feasibility, initiation, discovery, Story mapping, emergency step-ins, strategic board level presentations and training, both on and offsite, conflict negotiation and resolution, personal and group coaching, and ‘lets just chill and think this through’
● Retrospectives team, POs, Managers and executives were pivotal. Always different and exiting, never knowing quite what to expect but the outcomes were actioned on.
● Established Agile Center of Excellence and various Communities of practice.
● Consulted in selection for tooling in Business Agility enablement teams embraced Jira as I left whereas it was previously Jazz.
● Facilitated overall communication and collaboration between all parties, teams and suppliers involved, using agility skills and CRM techniques
● Established formal Change Management integration into each program.
● Designed and led change training to create and align vision, mission and measures with corporate goals.
● Designed and initially led then oversaw Scrum of Scrums – PO Sync - Open Reviews, Newsblurbs and ‘Rock and Reveals’. This ensured all teams were aware of what the other was doing and celebration of even small successes were the order the day.
● 10 Week SalesCloud (Oracle Worldwide) launch in SA, Nigeria, Corte de Voir.
● Implemented in Syria and Monaco next
● Led 11 Agile teams through 2 Black Friday launches, both front and back-end financial changes.
● Led initiative to automate repayments of incorrectly billed client in EBU
● Created playbooks change models.
● Created Exco Kanban WoW.
Self-Employed - Consulted as a Transformation Specialist and Agile Coach
April 2011 - February 2016
● Strategic consulting, including lean business plans & transformation strategy development.
● Specialist Agile Coaching and Mentoring.
● Design, develop and implement a stakeholder management strategy to drive engagement, awareness and preparedness of/for the project.
● Designed developed and implemented multi-level, two-way communication strategies. Partnered with UA Corporate for full End to End change management.
● Agile Program Management - full responsibility from ideation to delivery.
● Created change management models and led teams: Fica changes at ABSA, Telcom BCX buyout.
● Analyzed data to discover trends, patterns, correlations etc. that would enable operation managers in making improved business decisions.
● Developed and improved credible and pragmatic analytical approaches and frameworks.
● Provided project management support for multiple work streams within HR, technology, people, policy and process.
● Managed project economics including: track project budgets, create and deliver invoices, and manage collection process
● Implemented the EA strategy and COE at GEMS
● SAP implantation at Nursing Council of SA
● Employed knowledge of company strategies, procedures and financial regulations related to accounting. This included knowledge of IFRS 17, Basel, King 3,4,5, L1quidity, Valuations, assentation and Product Control etc.
● Used a wide range of training modalities, on- line, classroom, mobile. Track to improve.
Knotion Consulting - Transformation Program Management and Agile Coach
July 2009 - March 2011
● Three years using my expertise working with Executives, Managers and teams in Lean, Kanban, Scrum and Continuous Improvement.
● Completed 2 successful enterprise level transformations into high performing Digital Agile Enterprises.
● Implemented strategies to complete business intelligence strategies and roadmaps, standardizing business metrics, integrating enterprise architecture, subsequent processes and procedures and delivered the reporting and analytics in a novel and insightful way to business.
● Facilitated employee – management communication strategies.
● Coached executives in leading strategic change following the firm's IPO and downsizing. Enabled teams to implement goals within three months.
● Developed key performance measures on customer satisfaction and tools to measure.
● Provided thought leadership through facilitating strategic and executive Design Thinking (Design Doing) and innovation workshops
Discovery Health – Project – Program Manager; Agile Coach
2005 - 2009
I was a lead in the Discovery Agile Transformation.
Developed the leadership alignment and organizational readiness approach for the successful implementation of a key technology replacement which impacted over 2000 clients and employees